Sunday, January 03, 2010

New Year Resolutions - Do You Have Any?

We are already 3 days in to the new year and I have already had to adjust my goals for this year. I am so ambitious (at least in my head) and I set these huge, unrealistic goals. For example, one goal was to post a new technique on this blog each day. Wow! That would be awesome, I do want to create an ABC of techniques in scrapbooking, and this would definitely help me meet that goal. Realistically, I have 5 kids and several health issues that often prevent me from even checking my emails each day. If I kept that goal, I would eventually fail, and then give up, like almost everyone else who makes New Year Resolutions. Last year was way too hard, and if I learned anything, it was that I always try to do too much, thinking that I can still be wonder woman and supermom, but I can't. I can hardly believe I'm actually admitting it, but I am, I just can't do it all anymore. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, among many other things (check out my other blog: http://fivekidsandfibromyalgia.blogspot.com/). That diagnosis really set me back. A good friend of mine, who also has fibromyalgia, told me that now, I can expect to do half of what I used to do, and that I will finish only half of what I expect to do. Snap! That is 1/4 of what I used t do! I was a real go-getter and did a lot! Like having a 2 year old, being pregnant, teaching full time and getting my master's degree. I have always just ran myself ragged, but last year it really hit me, that I just can't do it anymore. Luckily, with the help of God, my husband and my kids, they help out a lot more, to lessen my load. Anyway, I had to sit down and rewrite my goals, to make them more manageable. I made each goal specific to the goal and added a time frame in which I wanted to complete this goal. Now it is much easier to see if I am meeting my goals, because they are so specific.

Do you set new goals each year? Or, do you just have expectations of yourself that you will do your best to meet? I used to just keep them in my head, but I just turned 40 and my mind is not as sharp as it used to be, making it easier to forget, and not complete what I had planned in my head. Writing my goals down, and crossing them off, also makes me feel better about myself, since I can see exactly what I have done, and still need to do.

Here are my goals for 2010....

Goals for 2010: Shellie
1) List 5 new items on my Webstore
4 days a week.

2) List a new technique on my scrapbooking blog
4 days a week.

3) Get my BA in scrapbooking from CTMH
by June 1, 2010

4) Get my MA in scrapbooking from CTMH
by Dec. 1, 2010

5) Read 3 books on money management
by April 30, 2010

6) Get 30 followers on my scrapbooking blog
by June 15, 2010

7) Send in work for a contest or to be published
3 times every 3 months

8) Finish my ABC of Disney scrapbook by July, 2010

9) Organize my scraproom, with labels by my next foot surgery

10) Scrapbook a new layout 3 days a week

11) Have family game night once a week


Well, that is my start. I really hope that by setting myself a timeline, it will motivate me to get more done!

No comments:

Post a Comment